House of the Dragon: The Game of Thrones Prequel
House of the Dragon is is an upcoming American fantasy drama television series based on Martin’s Fire & Blood novel. The new series takes place 300 years before the events of the award-winning series adaptation of Game of Thrones (2011-2019) which aired its final episode nearly two years ago. House of the Dragon is expected to tell the story of House Targaryen.
The series is created by George R. R. Martin and Ryan J. Condal and the Distributor of the series is Warner Bros. Television.
House of the Dragon Age Rating
Same as Game of Thrones House of the Dragon is also rated TV-MA.
Program-rated TV-MA is intended to be viewed by mature, adult audiences and may be unsuitable for children under 17. Contains content that is unsuitable for children.
House of the Dragon Release Date
The Game of Thrones Prequel began filming in April. HBO is currently aiming for a 2022 premiere for the series, though production has now hit a speedbump. House of the Dragon is the first spin-off to properly enter production for HBO.
House of the Dragon does not have a release date, HBO is currently aiming for a 2022 premiere for the series House of Dragon.
[su_box title=”The Last Matinee” style=”noise” radius=”9″]
[su_row][su_column size=”1/2″ center=”no” class=””]
[/su_column] [su_column size=”1/2″ center=”no” class=””]
|House of the Dragon
|Warner Bros. Television.
House of the Dragon Cast & Characters
The world of Westeros is set to expand with HBO’s Game of Thrones prequel series, House of the Dragon, opening its doors to a new cast of characters in 2022.
- Milly Alcock as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, a younger version of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, the king’s first-born child. She is described as being of pure Valyrian blood and a dragon rider.
- Emily Carey as Alicent Hightower, a younger version of her character, is described as “the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the most beautiful and attractive woman in the Seven Kingdoms.
- Paddy Considine as King Viserys Targaryen, the fifth Targaryan king on the Iron Throne. He is described as a warm, kind, and decent man who only wishes to carry forward his grandfather’s legacy.
- Emma D’Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, the elder version of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen.
- Olivia Cooke as Alicent Hightower, the elder version of Alicent Hightower.
- Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen in House of the Dragon. Daemon is the “younger brother to King Viserys and heir to the throne. He is perhaps best known for his time as the eleventh doctor on Doctor Who.
- Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon also known as “The Sea Snake”.
- Rhys Ifans as Otto Hightower, the father of Alicent, and the Hand of the King who loyally and faithfully serves both his king and his realm.
- Eve Best as Princess Rhaenys Velaryon, the wife of Toussaint’s Lord Corlys Velaryon.
- Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria also known as Lady Misery, is a character with a difficult journey, having arrived in Westeros with nothing and been sold more times than she can recall.
- Fabien Frankel as Ser Criston Cole
House of the Dragon Set Photos
— House of the Dragon (@HouseofDragon) May 5, 2021
House of the Dragon will consist of 10 episodes. While we don’t know the episode titles yet.
House of the Dragon is set several hundred years before the events of Game of Thrones. It’s based on Martin’s novel “Fire & Blood,” which chronicles the rule of House Targaryen from the beginning. The story starts with Aegon I Targaryen’s conquest of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.
House of the Dragon will focus on a particular part of the Targaryen history: The Dance of Dragons. It was a bloody and brutal Targaryen civil war that takes place 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones. It follows the Targaryen’s long reign over Westeros and the power-grabbing battle that ensued between family members.
HBO is planning multiple Game of Thrones spinoffs, but they’re all set to be prequels rather than sequels, a decision that makes sense for the stories and the cable channel.
First up will be House of the Dragon, a Targaryen centric prequel but it’s only the beginning HBO reportedly has much more Game of Thrones spinoffs in the works, including an animated show based in the Empire of Yi Ti, an adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s Tales of Dunk & Egg novellas.
HBO clearly isn’t letting the response to Game of Thrones dictate things too much, given how many spinoffs it’s green lighting, but that too suggests it’s wise to look for new areas of exploration: people will come back to the world because it’s so rich, but anything too close to the main story would be too soon.
House Of The Dragon And The Game Of Thrones Timeline
The Game of Thrones timeline is based around Aegon Targaryen’s conquest of Westeros, with events placed either before Aegon’s Conquest (BC) or after Aegon’s Conquest (AC). The story of Game of Thrones begins in 298 AC, ending in 305 AC.
The prequel’s place in the timeline is much earlier: the Dance of the Dragons occurred from 129 – 131 AC, placing House of the Dragon at least 170 years before Game of Thrones. However, given the show will be building to those events, likely over the course of its first season or two, then things should begin even sooner.
At the very least, House of the Dragon will depict part of King Viserys’ reign. It’s his death that leads to the Dance of the Dragons, but he was crowned King in 103 AC. If the prequel were to show that, then it’d be going back almost 200 years before Game of Thrones, but given the castings have his daughter as an adult then it seems more likely the show will be beginning towards the end of his reign (and indeed, life).
House Of The Dragon Official Trailer
It’s difficult to predict just when the show will start, but it could be around 120 AC. Also known as the Year of the Red Spring, this was a momentous one in Viserys’ time as King, including the deaths of Rhaenyra’s husband, Laenor Velaryon, and the Hand of the King, Lyonel Strong.
These events would help lead to the Dance of the Dragons, so could be a good starting point, although would likely necessitate a time jump.
Alternatively, it could pick up around 128 AC, in the last year of the King’s life, allowing him to die at the end of season 1 to kick the war into motion, similar to Ned Stark’s death in Game of Thrones. Either way, House of the Dragon will be taking place in a Westeros quite unfamiliar to Game of Thrones viewers.
While many of the customs were established by the Targaryen dynasty, there’s never been a chance to see what that actually looked like in action. Similarly, while Game of Thrones had three dragons, this will have a lot more and can show whole new sides to the Targaryens and Westeros as a whole.
— House of the Dragon (@HouseofDragon) May 5, 2021
Stay tuned to get more updates on the age rating of all Netflix TV Series, TV shows, books, and games. Finally, any suggestions are always welcomed.
Also, please make use of the comment box for your reviews. We are always providing the complete details on age rating for kids, We will make the easy and best way for your kids.