King’s Cage is the third installment in the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard. Red Queen is a young adult fantasy novel series is the first series of the writer. Red Queen was the first novel of the series and the Sequels of the Red Queen are Glass Sword, King’s Cage, War Storm, and the last book of the series is Broken Throne a fifth book and A Red Queen Collection.
|Red Queen, 3
|Date of Publication
|February 7th, 2017
|No. of Page
King’s Cage Age Rating
King’s Cage age rating is 13 and up. However, I will suggest rating 15+ as there was much more mature content in this book than in the others, This is a great read for adults and older teens who want a great dystopian novel. In addition to the content, the political complexities of the story may be less interesting to younger teens.
King’s Cage Parents Guide
|This book also contains sex that was not found in the previous books. t’s full of language, sex, homosexual content, and other things that immature teens shouldn’t read.
|There is a little more sexual content with an implied sex scene, however, it is not graphic
|There is an LGBTQ+ relationship.
|Farley gave Mare the abortion pill and told her it was her “choice”.
|Mare and Cal’s sex scene but was not detailed.
|The king forcibly kisses Mare and she can’t consent because she’s a prisoner.
|A couple restarts their romance, starting with kisses and moving on to a sexual relationship.
|This installment shows more violence and some cursing than the previous two books and depicts mental and physical abuse.
|Mare is tortured and her mind/memories are invaded. Mare and Cal are forced to hurt each other.
|Use of profanity, words used such as f*ck, bitch, freak, weakling, coward, liar, s**t, hell, damn, and sh*t.
|Rare use of alcohol, royals drink at events.
King’s Cage Official Storyline
In this breathless third installment to Victoria Aveyard’s bestselling Red Queen series, allegiances are tested on every side. And when the Lightning Girl’s spark is gone, who will light the way for the rebellion?
Mare Barrow is a prisoner, powerless without her lightning, tormented by her lethal mistakes. She lives at the mercy of a boy she once loved, a boy made of lies and betrayal. Now a king, Maven Calore continues weaving his dead mother’s web in an attempt to maintain control over his country—and his prisoner.
As Mare bears the weight of Silent Stone in the palace, her once-ragtag band of newbloods and Reds continue organizing, training and expanding. They prepare for war, no longer able to linger in the shadows. And Cal, the exiled prince with his own claim on Mare’s heart, will stop at nothing to bring her back.
When blood turns on blood, and ability on ability, there may be no one left to put out the fire—leaving Norta as Mare knows it to burn all the way down. (Publishers)
Related Post: Red Queen Series Order
“Those who know what it’s like in the dark will do anything to stay in the light.”
― Victoria Aveyard, King’s Cage
King’s Cage Characters
- Mare Barrow: also known as Mareena Titanos and The Lightning Girl, is new blood and a member of the Scarlet Guard. She possesses electrical ability. The 17-year-old Mare is a Red who steals for a living, but the discovery that she holds supernatural powers causes many to try to vie for her allegiance.
- Ada Wallace: Ada worked as a servant for Governor Rem Rhambos in Harbor Bay before being recruited by Mare Barrow for the Scarlet Guard.
- Cameron Cole: with the ability of a silent, meaning she can nullify the abilities of others.
- Darmian: He is an invulnerable. Darmian is part of the Corros Prison raid.
- Farrah: Farrah is a newblood that Mare was able to track down to help the Scarlet Guard. She is a sounder, meaning she can manipulate sounds.
- Fletcher: Fletcher is a newblood with an ability that gives him immunity from pain.
- Gareth Baument: Gareth was a horse master for Lady Ara Iral before being recruited by Mare. Gareth is part of the recruitment mission to Pitarus. He later dies during the raid on Corros Prison.
- Harrick: is an illusionist.He uses his ability to make the group invisible and to change their appearance to others.
- Jon: Jon is a newblood and a seer. He is not from Norta.
- Ketha: Ketha was a newblood with the bomber ability.
- Lory: Lory is a newblood who has an ability that gave her enhanced senses.
- Luther Carver: Luther is the son of a carpenter and lived on the outskirts of the city of Haven. He was excused from school to the family trade.
- Nanny: Nanny was an elderly newblood and a member of the Scarlet Guard. She is a shifter. She takes care of the newblood children Mare and her friends save.
- Nix Marsten: Nix Marsten was the first newblood Mare Barrow recruits.
- Rash: Rash is a newblood and the brother of Tahir and Ibarem.
- Shade Barrow: was the older brother of Mare Barrow. He was new blood with the ability of teleportation.
- Tahir: Tahir is a newblood and the brother of Rash and Ibarem. Tahir has the mutation that grants him a Silver-like ability despite having Red blood. His ability gives him a mental link with his brothers, Ibarem and Rash.
- Wolliver Galt: Wolliver had the blood mutation that granted him a Silver-like ability despite having Red blood.
- Diana Farley: Diana Farley, often known as Farley, is a known leader of the Scarlet Guard. A captain of the Scarlet Guard leads them in the campaigns against the Silvers. She is strongly dedicated to the cause.
- Bree Barrow: Mare Barrow’s older brothers.
- Daniel Barrow: father of Mare Barrow and her siblings.
- Gisa Barrow: Gisa Barrow is Mare Barrow’s younger sister and a Red.
- Kilorn Warren: Mare’s best friend and an apprentice of fishing. Mare seems content to eventually become his wife until her engagement with Maven makes them drift apart. The attempt to spare him of conscription is the catalyst of much of the novel’s plot. He doesn’t get along with Cal.
- Lena: Lena is a Red and a member of the Scarlet Guard.
- Ruth Barrow: mother of Mare Barrow and her siblings.
- Tramy Barrow: one of Mare Barrow’s older brothers.
- Willis Farley: Diana Farley’s father and a member of the Scarlet Guard.
- Tiberias “Cal” Calore VII: Tiberias “Cal” Calore VII is the eldest child of Tiberias Calore VI and heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Norta. He was the eighteenth and final ruler of Norta. As a member of House Calore, he possesses the burner ability. The elder son and heir of King Tiberias Calore VI through his first wife, Coriane Jacos. Though he is engaged to Evangeline, he is in love with Mare, a fact that she uses to further her goals in the Scarlet Guard. He is a Burner, which means his Silver powers allow him to manipulate fire.
- Elara Merandus: Elara Merandus is the second wife of King Tiberias Calore VI, Queen of Norta, and the mother of Maven Calore. The mysterious and sadistic current queen of Norta and the mother of Maven. Mare dislikes her since the very start of their meeting. She is able to read and manipulate people with the ability known as Whispering.
- Evangeline Samos: Evangeline Artemia Samos is a magnetron of House Samos and the second child of Volo Samos and Larentia Viper. She is initially shown to be an enemy of Mare Barrow, later proving that she has a good heart, just a funny way of showing it. A haughty girl who is made Cal’s fiancée after being declared the best of the aspiring princesses. She holds a grudge against Mare, particularly after the latter humiliates her by expending her electrokinesis and repelling her magnetic manipulation, a trait of the House Samos.
- Julian Jacos: A royal librarian and the brother of Cal’s deceased mother, Coriane, making him his uncle. He is the last known person to hold the power of a Singer: being able to control people through his voice.
- Maven Calore: Maven Merandus Calore was the seventeenth ruler and former King of Norta. He was Tiberias Calore VII’s younger half-brother and the only child of Elara Merandus and Tiberias Calore VI. He was Silver with the burner ability. King Tiberias VI’ second son through his second wife, Elara Merandus, and thus Cal’s half-brother. He is shy, but Mare’s sudden engagement with him makes him open up. Like Cal and his father, Maven has the ability to control flames. Maven is deeply jealous of Cal, partly because he thought his brother had won Mare’s heart, the way he had won their father’s.
- Sara Skonos: A friend of Julian who works as a nurse with her ability to heal people, known as Skin Healing.
King’s Cage Trailer
“You are only a shadow, and who looks at shadows when they have flame?”
― Victoria Aveyard, King’s Cage
Official Website: victoriaaveyard.com
Stay tuned to get more updates on the age rating of all movies, tv shows, books, and games. Finally, any suggestions are always welcomed. Blade of Secrets Parents Guide and Age Rating.
Also, please make use of the comment box for your reviews. We are always providing all age ratings for kids, We will make the easy and best way for your kids.