The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air #2)
You must be strong enough to strike and strike and strike again without tiring. The first lesson is to make yourself strong.
The Wicked King of Holly Black is the second book in the series of THE FOLK OF THE AIR. The Wicked King follows Jude and her newfound power and position in the faerie world of Elfhame while Cardan is thrust on the throne. The two fall for each other amidst politics, scandals, parties, and plotting.
The Folk of the Air is a young adult, fantasy book series by Holly Black Published by Little Brown Books for Young Readers.
The Series of the books under The Folk of the Air are:
- The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air#1)
- The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air #2)
- The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air #3)
How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air series): The perfect gift for fans of Fantasy Fiction. Novella.
The Wicked King Age Rating
The Wicked King by Holly Black is rated for the ages between 14+. The content in this book may be inappropriate for the age group under 14.
The Wicked King Parents Guide
It does contain more mature things in it compared to “The Cruel Prince”.
In this book, the characters constantly lie and betray others, and there are descriptions of violence and the book has a very dark theme all over.
Violent and minor sexual moments.
Sex: There are kissing and make-out scenes, mild kissing scenes, the characters DO NOT in fact sleep together.
While most of the romance is talk and some kisses, there is one scene that while nothing is too heavily described.
Violence: Mild violence, but not heavily described. There are deaths and poisoning but not explicitly described.
Jude engages in knife and swordfights and kills at least one opponent in cold blood. She’s kidnapped and tortured. a few sword fights, blood, and death. Jude administers nonlethal doses of poison to herself.
Language: A minor amount of swearing: “bulls–t,” “hell,” and “damn.”
Tell me again what you said at the revel,” he says, climbing over me, his body against mine.
“What?” I can barely think.
“That you hate me,” he says, his voice hoarse. “Tell me that you hate me.”
“I hate you,” I say, the words coming out like a caress. I say it again, over and over. A litany. An enchantment. A ward against what I really feel. “I hate you. I hate you. I hate you.”
He kisses me harder.
“I hate you,” I breathe into his mouth. “I hate you so much that sometimes I can’t think of anything else.”
― Holly Black, The Wicked King
The Wicked King Summary
After the jaw-dropping revelation that Oak is the heir to Faerie, Jude must keep her brother safe. To do so, she has bound the wicked king, Cardan, to her, and made herself the power behind the throne. Navigating the constantly shifting political alliances of Faerie would be difficult enough if Cardan were easy to control. But he does everything in his power to humiliate and undermine her even as his fascination with her remains undiminished.
When it becomes all too clear that someone close to Jude means to betray her, threatening her own life and the lives of everyone she loves, Jude must uncover the traitor and fight her own complicated feelings for Cardan to maintain control as a mortal in a Faerie world. [Publishers]
The Wicked King Characters
- Jude Duarte: High Queen of Elfhame, Eva and Justin’s daughter.
- Cardan Greenbriar: High King of Elfhame.
- Madoc: Former Grand General of Elfhame.
- Taryn Duarte: Eva and Justin’s daughter, Jude’s twin sister.
- Vivienne “Vivi” Duarte: Eva and Madoc’s daughter.
- Oriana: Eldred’s former lover, Liriope’s friend; Madoc’s wife; Oak’s foster mother.
- Oak Greenbriar: Liriope and Dain’s son, Oriana, and Madoc’s foster son.
- Locke: Elfhame’s former Master of Revels; Liriope’s son.
- Nicasia: Princess of the Undersea; Orlagh’s daughter; Cardan’s former girlfriend; Locke’s former fling
- Balekin Greenbriar: Former ambassador of the Undersea; Eldred’s eldest son.
- Orlagh: Queen of the Undersea; Nicasia’s mother.
- Van aka The Roach: Member of the Court of Shadows; Dain’s former spy and theft expert; Liliver’s lover.
- Liliver aka The Bomb: Member of the Court of Shadows; Dain’s former spy and explosives expert; Van’s lover.
- Garrett aka The Ghost: Member of the Court of Shadows; Dain’s former spy and shooting expert; Taryn’s lover.
- Heather: Vivi’s mortal girlfriend.
- Grima Mog: Former general of the Court of Teeth; Grand General of Elfhame.
- Dain Greenbriar: Taniot and Eldred’s son; Balekin, Elowyn, Rhyia, Caelia, and Cardan’s half-brother.
- Lady Asha: Eldred’s consort; Cardan’s mother
- Valerian: Cardan, Locke, and Nicasia’s former friend.
The Wicked King Trailer
The Wicked King Review
The Wicked King is the sequel to the novel The Cruel Prince. It’s an action-packed, suspenseful fantasy story. There is quite a bit of violence in the novel (stabbings, poisonings, etc.) however none of it is graphically described.
The two main characters sleep together, however, there is no details, just the statement that it occurred. I really enjoyed this book. I suggest reading The Cruel Prince first, as it will be difficult to understand if you do not.
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: blackholly.com
Stay tuned to get more updates on the age rating of all movies, tv shows, books, and games. Finally, any suggestions are always welcomed.
Also, please make use of the comment box for your reviews. We are always providing all age ratings for kids, We will make the easy and best way for your kids.