The Keeper of Night by Kylie Lee Baker
Kylie Lee Baker’s first work The Keeper of Night is a dark historical Fantasy Young Adult novel is inspired by Japanese folklore and mythology.
The Keeper of Night is the first book of “The Keeper of Night Duology” and the second book entitled The Empress of Time is expected to publish in October 2022 by Inkyard Press.
|Series||The Keeper of Night duology|
|Author||The Keeper of Night|
|Genre||Fantasy, Young Adult|
|Date of Publication||October 12, 2021|
|No. of Page||400|
A girl of two worlds, accepted by none… A half Reaper, half Shinigami soul collector seeks her destiny in this haunting and compulsively readable dark fantasy duology set in 1890s Japan.
Death is her destiny.
Half British Reaper and half Japanese Shinigami soul collector, Ren Scarborough has never felt like she belonged. However, one fateful night, in 1800s London, Ren’s Shinigami powers manifest, and, as she loses control of them, she injures some High Reapers.
Knowing she would be severely punished, she decides to flee to Japan, along with her half-brother, Neven. There she hopes to find her true identity and to be accepted by other Shinigami. This quest for belonging and respect, and desire to serve the Goddess of Death will certainly take Ren to places she didn’t expect when she embarked on this journey.
The Keeper of Night Age Rating and Parents Guide
The Keeper of Night age rating is 13+ that means the book is generally not suitable for the readers under the age of 13 as the content of the book contains-
- Death (on-page & discussed frequently)
- Sexism (brief slut-shaming)
- Emotional neglect of a child
- Mentions of child abandonment
- Violence, murder, blood, gore
- We will update you more very soon.
The Keeper of Night Summary
Half British Reaper, half Japanese Shinigami, Ren Scarborough has been collecting souls in the London streets for centuries. Expected to obey the harsh hierarchy of the Reapers who despise her, Ren conceals her emotions and avoids her tormentors as best she can.
When her failure to control her Shinigami abilities drives Ren out of London, she flees to Japan to seek the acceptance she’s never gotten from her fellow Reapers. Accompanied by her younger brother, the only being on earth to care for her, Ren enters the Japanese underworld to serve the Goddess of Death…only to learn that here, too, she must prove herself worthy.
Determined to earn respect, Ren accepts an impossible task—find and eliminate three dangerous Yokai demons—and learns how far she’ll go to claim her place at Death’s side. [Publishers]
The Keeper of Night Characters
- Ren is a great main character and even though she does questionable things, her motivations are interesting and what makes her feel real and therefore one can’t help but root for her. She’s tough and resilient but she also feels sorry for herself a lot and questions her own morals. The book is deeply rooted in Ren’s struggles with being biracial and her quest for validation. She’s constantly caught between two cultures and trying to figure out where she belongs since there are no examples that show her that she can embrace both. It will certainly strike a cord with biracial or diaspora readers.
- Neven, Ren’s half-brother. The relationship and dynamics between these two siblings are painful to read at times but it’s clearly evident that they care so much for each other.
- Hiro, The other main character who will accompany the siblings on their journey. His character has so much depth, certainly a character that keeps surprising the reader. Maybe the only critique here would be the love relationship between him and Ren, it’s frustrating even though it does take the reader to unexpected places.
About The Writer
Kylie Lee Baker is the author of The Keeper of Night. She grew up in Boston and has since lived in Atlanta, Salamanca, and Seoul. Her writing is informed by her heritage (Japanese, Chinese, and Irish), as well as her experiences living abroad as both a student and teacher. She has a BA in creative writing and Spanish from Emory University and a master of library and information science degree from Simmons University.
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: www.kylieleebaker.com
Stay tuned to get more updates on the age rating of all movies, tv shows, books, and games. Finally, any suggestions are always welcomed.
Also, please make use of the comment box for your reviews. We are always providing all age ratings for kids, We will make the easy and best way for your kids.